Have you ever been asked what time you were born and where?
If so, that means someone is trying to get your birth chart and wants to know you on a deeper level - probably because they’re interested in you!So, what exactly is a birth chart and what can you get out of it?
In simple terms, a birth chart is a map of the sky at the exact time you were born, according to the location of your birth.
From this, you get to uncover many layers of you regarding any and every aspect of your life! From relationships, family, career, passions, challenges, qualities, values and even health. Your birth chart is the key to better understanding yourself.
Once you know your exact birth time and location, most astrology apps will do the heavy lifting for you.
Our favourites are:
Don’t worry, you don’t need to know everything about it!
Start by identifying your Sun, Moon, and Rising (Ascendant).
Your Sun Sign (also called Star Sign) is what you might be most familiar with. It’s you in a nutshell, but it doesn’t encompass all of the nuances that make you, you.
Your Moon Sign represents your internal state of being, your emotions and how you perceive yourself daily.
Lastly, your Rising Sign portrays how other people see you. Basically, it’s the energy that you put out into the world and what you’re usually known for. Contrary to popular astrology, this is the sign that deeply encapsulates you, not your sun!
Come back to your chart every time you want to get to know yourself, or need to understand why you keep repeating certain patterns.
Next, learn about your planet-signs connection.
Identify the areas of your life that need improvement or better understanding and use planets to learn more about them.
For example, Venus is the planet in control of love and money. If you want to dig deeper into this, check on your birth chart what sign your Venus falls under and learn more about that.
Here’s a quick breakdown of every planet and their respective roles in your life:
- Sun: Your ego, identity and ‘role’ in life. The core of who you are.
- Moon: Your emotions, moods, feelings.
- Mercury: How you communicate, talk, think, process information and how you learn.
- Venus: How and what you love, how you express attraction and the qualities you’re attracted to.
- Mars: Aggression. It determines how you assert yourself, take action and the energy around you (especially in your sex life, ambitiousness and when you’re angry).
- Jupiter: Social life! It rules optimism, idealism and expansion. It’s highly philosophical.
- Saturn: Another social planet that rules responsibilities, restrictions, limits, boundaries, fears and self-discipline.
- Uranus: Innovation, rebellion and progress.
- Neptune: Dreams, imagination and unconscious mind.
- Pluto: Power, intensity, obsession and control.
If you feel like you really want to get to know yourself, look into Houses:
Just like the Zodiac Signs, there are 12 houses and each represents an area of your life.
This is your chance to delve even deeper and truly understand your patterns, behaviours and preferred ways of doing things.
Use the below list to identify the areas of your life and check what signs or planets ‘inhabit’ it!
- 1st House: Self, identity, physical appearance.
- 2nd House: Material possessions, money, values.
- 3rd House: Peers, communication, siblings.
- 4th House: Home, family, origins.
- 5th House: Creativity, romance, children.
- 6th House: Health, wellness, routines.
- 7th House: Partnership, contracts, marriage.
- 8th House: Inheritances, sex, transformation.
- 9th House: Philosophy, travel, higher education.
- 10th House: Career, legacy, reputation.
- 11th House: Activism, technology, humanitarianism.
- 12th House: Intuition, secrets, spirituality.
To break things down…
The planets are the WHAT
Your signs are the HOW
The houses are the WHERE
Still feels like a lot? Don’t stress!
Whatever app you downloaded will break down everything nicely for you.
There is so much more to astrology to uncover and once you get the hang of it, you’ll find it an incredibly powerful personal development tool.
So... What are your three signs and what do they say about you?